Weekly Hearthstone Roundup #23 (May 19 – May 25)
Last month in review:
Weekly Hearthstone Roundup is a series summarizing last week in Hearthstone. By making a compilation of the news regarding game, teams, pro players, ladder, community etc. we try to make catching up easier for those of you who don’t follow the HS news every day.
If you feel that we’ve missed something important or that we didn’t properly cite the source, let us know in the comments and we’ll fix it right away.
- Host a Summer Tavern Hero Qualifier! – If you’re an innkeeper hosting Fireside Gatherings, you might be interested in this one. Starting May 31, accepted Fireside Gatherings will be eligible to host Tavern Hero qualifiers. Players from around the world will compete and top 8 from each region will end up qualifying to HCT Summer Playoffs. If you’re interested, remember that you need to apply before July 12 to be considered!
- Announcing the Hearthstone Wild Open! – The Wild tournament hinted a while ago is now officially announced. Top 64 ranked players will fight in the best-of-five Conquest format (double elimination, one ban), but only two from each major region (EU, NA, Asia-Pacific and China) will qualify. Prize pool seems to be $25,000, but we don’t know the exact split yet. The online qualifier will take place between June 9 and 11, while the Playoffs will be held between July 1 and 2. We should get more info about broadcast details soon!
- HearthPwn: Upcoming Wild Tournament Qualification Drama & Blizzard Update – It wouldn’t be Hearthstone without drama, right? There was quite a ruckus after official rules to the Wild Tournament were announced. It seemed that players from Australia, New Zeland, Thailand, Japan and few other countries had to play on the Asia-Pacific server in order to qualify. It might not be weird as it’s their “official” server right now, but it didn’t use to be that way. For a long time, players from those regions were redirected to the NA server and that’s where a lot of them are still playing. But, all’s well that ends well and Blizzard has updated the rules, allowing players from those countries to compete for the spots on NA server too. However, the region lock is already really weird – I know a lot of players from EU that play on NA server for one reason or the other.
- Twitch: Now testing new interactive features for Twitch streams – This is something new and it’s pretty big. Hearthstone is one of the most viewed game on Twitch and the site delivers. For now, they’re introducing an interactive overlay that allows viewers to see the deck list. But unlike something like Hearthstone Deck Tracker turned on by the steamer, viewers can actually hover over the cards to see their tooltips etc. But it’s only the beginning, the goal is to make the whole board “interactive” for the viewer – maybe you’ll be able to however over every card to see its tooltip soon, just like you might be able to however over the deck to see how many cards there are left for each player. It will be a new experience, especially for people who are still learning the game and don’t know every card well enough. Note: Not every streamer uses that function yet and some might never do that for one reason or the other.
- HearthPwn: This week’s Tavern Brawl is: A Peek to the Past – You build your own deck, but only from the Classic and Basic cards. No cards from any expansion is available. And not only that – you can only play with Common and Rare cards, none of those filthy P2W Epics and Legendaries allowed. Remember, however, that we still play on the current patch, so the card changes that happened over time are still present. Not to mention that for some reason the Hall of Fame cards aren’t available (so you can’t play Azure Drake, Power Overwhelming etc.). It’s still a nice way to get that “blast from the past” experience from the Beta (minus putting every bad Legendary you’ve opened into each one of your decks just because it’s Legendary).
- Vicious Syndicate: Data Reaper Report #49 is out! – While the meta is stabilizing, it doesn’t mean that it’s dull and nothing happens. Just last week a completely new deck has started to gain popularity – Token Shaman – and it took ladder by the storm, becoming #1 deck overall and #4 deck in Legend. Shaman win rates have jumped significantly last week thanks to the new deck + Elemental Shaman also seems to work better. We’ll see how things develop throughout next week. Other than that, Mage is gaining more and more popularity and it solidifies its lead as the most popular class right now. Top 8 deck on the overall ladder according to vS are: Token Shaman, Pirate Warrior, Secret Mage, Murloc Paladin, Midrange Paladin, Elemental Shaman, Dragon Priest and Control Paladin. Top 8 decks in Legend are: Murloc Paladin, Secret Mage, Token Druid, Token Shaman, Pirate Warrior, Control Paladin, Dragon Priest and Midrange Paladin.
- Tempo Storm: Standard Meta Snapshot #30 is out! – Here is the breakdown video – Here are the best Standard decks according to Tempo Storm. Tier 1: Control (Burn) Mage, Aggro (Token) Druid, Midrange Paladin, Pirate Warrior, Secret Mage and Aggro (Murloc) Paladin. Tier 2: Token Shaman, Taunt Warrior, Quest Rogue, Purify (Silence) Priest, Control Paladin, Miracle Rogue, Jade Druid, Freeze Mage and Dragon Priest.
- Tempo Storm: Wild Meta Snapshot #5 is out! – Here are the best Wild decks according to Tempo Storm. Tier 1: Pirate Warrior, Reno Mage, RenoLock and Control Shaman. Tier 2: Inner Fire Priest, Aggro Shaman, Egg Druid, Freeze Mage, Jade Druid, Control Warrior, Recruit Paladin and Reno N’Zoth Priest.
- Good Gaming: Good Gaming Wild Meta Report: May 2017 (S38)
- MetaStats: Un’Goro Meta Snapshot #6 (May 15 – May 21)
- HearthHead: Chinese Meta Bulletin #3
- SectorOne: Top Legend Decks from Un’Goro Expansion
- You can check out a currently trending deck for each class on the HSReplays.net site! – The site offers a selection of decks that have been rising to popularity in the last 48h. Those might not be the best builds, but they’re the ones you should be seeing on the ladder more and more right now. For a compilation of the decks in general, check out the “Decks” section.
- HearthPwn: Hearthstone Global Games Week 7 – Teams from 48 different countries will face each other in the Best of 5 format. Week 7 of Group Stage has taken place between May 23 and 25, but there is still a lot of action to come – group stage will be played for many weeks and then play-offs will happen. You can watch new matches live every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday on the official PlayHearthstone channel. If you’ve missed the action, you can also watch the VoDs from every match!
- GosuGamers: Hoej is the EU Spring champion, Rdu, Kolento, Neirea also headed for Shanghai – HCT European Spring Playoffs have happened last weekend. We know the 4 players from Europe who will fight with 3 other regions in the HCT Spring Championship in Shanghai. Hoej sweeped the last series against Kolento 3-0 and became the new European Champion.
- HearthPwn: Notable Player Decks From the 2017 Americas Spring Playoffs & Event Survival Guide – HCT Americas Spring Playoffs will happen this weekend, between May 27 and 28 on the PlayHearthstone Twitch channel. Follow the link for more information.
- GosuGamers: Xixo, Hoej, Surrender find new home – Ex-NaVi and CLG players have signed contracts with the new organization. Team Planet Odd, which wasn’t a known e-sports powerhouse, has signed a really strong Hearthstone roster. Good luck to the players and let’s hope that they won’t have to change the team again soon!
- New episodes of the most popular Hearthstone podcasts were released: The Angry Chicken #211, Golden Wisp #127, Value Town #122 (no new episode), Lightforge #94, The Innervated #79 (no new episode)
- TheGameHaus: Is RNG Card Generation Getting Out of Hand? – The Case for Counterplay
- HearthHead: The Art of Jim Nelson, The Man Behind Un’Goro’s Tar Elementals
- Reddit: Top Cards of the Week from /r/CustomHearthstone (05/21/2017)
- Art: The Hearthstone Box: a 3D Project
- Art: Tortollan with a Vine Cleaver
- Video: Hearthstone: Mulligans | Episode 2 – Shotgun
- Video: Funny And Lucky Moments – Hearthstone – Ep. 246 and 247
- Video: Chastity Belt (Note: It’s hilarious)
- Video: Can we finish the Rouge Quest by same name DIFFERENT cards?
- Video: It’s a free card…
- Video: Mill of the year @ HCT Europe (Sintolol vs RastaFish)
- Video: Kripp drafts “the best deck he has ever drafted” (78.8 Heartharena score) (Note: He ended up 12-0)
- Video: Hemet Jade Idol Combo
- Video: Hotform – Bro, what did you do?!
- Video: Quest Hunter takes an extra turn
- Video: My dreams have been shattered.
- Video: “Filthy, Filthy BM” in Hearthstone Global Games
- Video: What playing Lyra feels like
- Video: Dog playing Token Druid
- Video: StrifeCro gets saved by the rope
- Video: Hearthstone Top 5: Surprisingly Good Cards – Journey To Un’Goro
If there are any more news from last week we might have missed, let us know in the comments. And, once again, if you have any suggestions for this series (or for the site in general!) we’d really appreciate if you’d let us know.
Good luck on the ladder and until next time!